HLBI should make it a priority to develop therapeutic options for the treatment of heart failure with preserved ejection fraction.
Goal 3: Advance Translational Research
Increase awareness of vascular disease in the population. Public recognition and understanding is poor, despite high prevalence. Improve public education about vascular diseases, the risk factors, early signs, and treatment.
There is a need to utilize insights gained from T4 translation research and implementation science to inform the design and execution of early-stage translational research and clinical trials.
There is a compelling need to advance research to understand the physiology governing the safety and efficacy of hemoglobin-based oxygen therapeutics functioning outside the red cell.
Why? It is only logical to realize this will place more unnecessary burden on the already... more »
Can we develop improved, clinically effective tissue engineered constructs for vascular disease?
What knowledge about health behavior change can be leveraged to design innovative and effective strategies for behavior change among the most vulnerable individuals?
Why does the response to weight loss regimen in terms of weight loss and its sustainability, and improvement in health outcomes vary considerably?
• Limited number of studies that adapt evidence- or practice-based interventions to rural settings
• Needs innovative approaches to engaging the rural community
• New intervention approaches needs testing in rural communities
• Building a team would have to involve of local community... more »
Research to adapt evidence-or practice-based interventions for urban, rural and minority populations.
Integrated healthcare strategies during transitions in COPD care
• What is cost effectiveness of multi-component COPD programs?
• Will early admission to a Pulmonary Rehabilitation program following a hospitalization for COPD reduce the likelihood of readmission within the following year?
• What is the most effective time to implement the transition from hospitalization following a COPD exacerbation admission?
What are the best inroads for the NHLBI to support innovative approaches in the next 5-10 years, especially blood cell therapies based on hematopoietic stem cell and novel gene therapy approaches to control or even cure HIV infection?