What is the most effective way to phenotype (classify) patients with respiratory failure requiring mechanical ventilation?
How can we increase physical activity in our COPD patients?
Does a collaborative self management plan for COPD reduce or increase mortality risk? (based on two conflicting VA studies)
2. What is the comparative effectiveness of using symptoms vs. spirometry in increasing patient and adherence to COPD treatment guidelines?
3. What is the comparative effectiveness of using a fixed FEV1/FVC ratio... more »
• Does a protocol-based screening for commonly occurring comorbid conditions in patients with COPD (eg. CAD, CHF, depression, sleep apnea) improve management and outcomes for patients with COPD?
• How should providers coordinate management strategies and treatment goals in patients with COPD and other co-existing chronic diseases?
• What is the comparative effectiveness... more »
Further development and clinical usefulness of COPD phenotypes
a. Linking phenotypes to clinically meaningful outcomes
b. Establishing treatment algorithms for different phenotypes
Incorporate important co-morbidities of COPD into treatment guidelines. This becomes crucially important with cardiovascular disease (CVD) which shares risk factors and pathogenesis
Disease modifying COPD therapy
a. Should we be starting therapy earlier in the course of disease?
b. Is there a survival benefit of oxygen therapy for exercise-induced hypoxemia?
a. Better tools for early recognition
b. More research in self-management and communications technology to assist patients
Define the pathobiology of the disorder (COPD)
a. Mechanisms of lung injury
b. Mechanisms of lung repair
c. Balance of lung and systemic pathobiologic manifestations and mechanisms
a. Define the pathobiological changes that lead to severe exacerbations that cause hospitalizations
b. Define novel clinical and biological phenotypic characterizations of hospitalized patients who fail treatment that results in death or early readmission
c. Explore new or understudied therapies for treatment of acute COPD hospitalizations: antioxidant, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (STATIN or... more »